For people who want to experience rapids but not endanger their lives, the Mulgrave River is perfect. Situated south of Gordonvale, the Mulgrave River fluctuates in flow according to the amount of rainfall. You can start your adventure from anywhere in the Goldsborough Valley, and finish in a park called ‘Greenpatch' in Gordonvale. It is possible to kayak from the top of the Goldsborough Valley to Gordonvale in one day.
Other rivers and details are listed below:
* Please note that the flow of water in these rivers varies greatly depending on the amount of rainfall. This is only a guide. If you have any hesitations about your ability, or the condition of the river, check with local guides.
What you'll need on a kayaking adventure is:
- Kayak – keep in mind that the longer a kayak is, the easier it is to control on flat water. In addition, the wider a kayak is the more stable it will be. The Perception “Dancer” is a great beginners kayak. Long enough to handle calm stretches of water easily, but short enough to dodge and weave between rocks in the rapids.
- Double-ended paddle
- Personal Flotation Device (a.k.a. Life Jacket)
- Plenty of drinking water
- Hat (one you don't mind losing) and sunscreen
- Shoes that can get wet
Barron River White Water Rafting | Half Day | FF
- Departs From: Barron River, Cairns
Half Day - approx 2 hours of White Water Rafting
Half Day Afternoon Barron River Rafting | BR | RnR
- Departs From: Cairns, Cairns Beaches
4 hours (approx)
Full Day Tully River Rafting | TR | RnR
- Departs From: Cairns, Mission Beach
From Cairns 11.5 hours (approx)
From Mission 8.5 hours (approx)
Tully River White Water Rafting | RT
- Departs From: Cairns, Cairns Beaches, Northern Beaches, Mission Beach
5 hours White Water Rafting
Approx 11 Hours full day duration including travel time